Monday, October 11, 2010

Verrines

This little dessert I stumbled across when I was referred to NPR's food section on their website. Now that I've tried one of their desserts, I highly recommend you check out their food section: it all must be super-good recipes. 

A verrine can actually be made of anything-- the point is to layer flavors in a small glass to get cool effect overall-- it's like a realitive of the parfait.

This was one of the best, fresh, non-chocolate desserts I've ever had. Like shockingly, amazingly, I-just-died-and-went-to-heaven good. Plus, I think it would be fun for kids to make/eat.

I made a dessert verrine, but you can read the article to get some more ideas of how to use your low ball glasses at home for more than just water.

I put strawberries, then fresh peaches, a layer of the strawberry mousse, mini nilla wafers, then whip cream in mine.

Strawberry Mousse

3/4 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced

3 to 4 tablespoons sugar (depending on how sweet the berries are)

1 cup mascarpone, at room temperature

1 cup whipping cream 

Use blender or food processor to blend the above ingredients together, to create mousse. 

My only critique was that the mousse turned out a little runny. I would have put less whip cream in, owing to the juiciness of the strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment